Just a couple of months ago, my little cousin started off on her journey to college. Just knowing she was off on her journey; made me think about my college path. Even before then, my friends & I always talk about how college life so good. Like your not an adult but not a kid either. Basically, it’s in the middle, trying to find your ways of the world. I feel like if I wasn’t focused on being free & not being under the thumbs of my aunts I would’ve done way better in the first year.
I remember me heading down to SIU for the first time like it was yesterday. Take a trip with me back to August 2008…… I believe it was a Saturday & I was at my aunt Teri’s house getting everything packed. My auntie Wendy was there & my uncle Louis was there. At the time my aunts couldn’t take me down to school so my older cousin took me. Which that ride wasn’t the best 😂😂 but 🤷🏾♀️ what could you do. Once I made it down & was unpacked, I was literally alone in my room. I did what any other kid did away from home……. I cried. I sat in my dorm room for a couple of hours crying. Which I mean this was the first time being on my own. But once I was done crying I went to explore the campus with a girl who I went to high school with. I swear for me it was like a culture shock. I was so amazed, I felt that I was going to fit in.
To make my flashback short, I ended up creating hella friends & memories. Hey, I was even a part of a group that I don’t speak of anymore 😂😂😩😩🤦🏾♀️🤦🏾♀️. Understanding that my college years well year was the best time of my life. Now that I went through it I learned a lot of shit. So here’s….
Jerrica’s rules of the first year of college:
- 8 am classes are the devil of your not a morning person.
- STUDY…. Don’t wait till the last minute set aside at least 2hrs for studying for the day
- Don’t go to any Frat parties early, or you’re going to regret it 😂😂
- You don’t have to go to every party at the school. It’s okay to chill out one weekend.
- It’s ok to admit your broke. I mean most of everyone around you is as well no judgment.
- Ramen noodles are your friend… I mean BEST FRIEND.
- Lastly, enjoy your first year in college. All work & no play will drain you.
I encourage everyone to go away for school. It doesn’t have to be your first year. But I do believe coming from the west side of Chicago, going away to school opened my mind up to a lot of things…
Comment below & tell me about your first year in college. Let me know how you got through it.